Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Garbanzo, Rice and Green Bean Salad


This is a great dish for a summer picnic or pot-luck! I got the recipe 30 years ago from the lovely couple who own Sandy Mush Herb Nursery near Asheville, NC. Over the years I've probably made enough of it to fill a small hot tub! I took it to a recent pot-luck and everyone raved and requested the recipe, so here 'tis:

Garbanzo, Rice and Green Bean Salad
Serves 10-12

Cook 2 cups (raw) long-grain brown rice
1 can Garbanzo beans, heated, drained, and rinsed


To warm rice and beans, add:
2 cups fresh steamed green beans, bite-size (I used Haricot Verts. Do NOT overcook!)
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup fresh chopped chives (may substitute mild onions)


In ½ cup of olive oil, sauté:
1 clove minced fresh garlic (I use more because I like garlic, but it depends on the party group)
1 Tbs. fresh (or 1 tsp. dry) basil
1 tsp. dry tarragon


Add:
Juice of 1 lemon (and the zest, it perks it up)
1 tsp. dry ground mustard
¼-⅓ cup raw apple cider vinegar, to taste

Mix together and add to rice mixture. 


I always add a can of drained whole pitted black olives, and a handful of grape or cherry tomatoes for color

Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, and serve with a good crusty bread. Serve warm, or chilled. Great either way! YUM!

2 comments:

  1. darius, thank you so much for taking the time to post your delicious (I know, I've had it)receipt along with the pictures. Great job! Would love spending more time with you.....you are a book well worth listening to.
    dahtzu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm SO glad you (and everyone else there) enjoyed it enough to ask for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.